Though this blog is was originally intended as a resource for offenders in Massachusetts, much of what I write about is applicable to sex offenders in every other state and many countries around the world, especially in Western Europe. Even other non-sex offenders trying to navigate prison, probation and parole, or employment and education opportunities can glean relevant information from this blog and apply it to help overcome their own struggles.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Defender Association of Philadelphia and A Pennsylvania RSO on Probation and His Experience Registering Under The New Adam Walsh Act

This written by a probationer about his experience complying with the newly enacted Adam Walsh Act in Pennsylvania.


I wanted to pass along my experience on Dec. 21st when I was ordered to report by Probation to register under the new Act 111. I just had to fill out a lot of paperwork, even though I've registered with the State Police before. I had to bring with me my car registration and my mom's, since I drive her car once in a while. I had to give them e-mail addresses and any school or work info. So the usual bs. 

But along with the probation officers were at least 5 representatives from the Defender Association of Philadelphia (where I live). I was shocked to see them, but grateful they were there. They were talking to us one on one and explaining why they want to fight this unjust law. They had a short form for each person to fill out so they could start to get plaintiffs together for a massive lawsuit. And the best part is that they are public defenders, so money is not an issue, although I'm sure they take donations, but I don't know that.  

I've been in contact with the Defender Association of Philadelphia through Karl Baker who is Chief of the Appeals Division for a few months now. He has kept me informed of any court cases that have anything to do with my specific situation. 

I would suggest all of you in PA call or write the Defender Assoc. soon to be a part of this lawsuit or at least to get some more info on the fight. Here is the contact info: Defender Association of Philadelphia1441 Sansom StreetPhiladelphia, PA 19102(215) 568-3190

No comments:

Post a Comment